Thursday 5 July 2007

Idiot Player

It's been a frustratiung couple of evenings since I last posted. On Tuesday I lost about $1400 mainly due to AA getting robbed on the river with all the money in for an $1800 pot. I had raised to $40 and got two callers. Flop came 3,4,Q which didn't look too bad. I bet about $75 and was called. Turn came a 5 and I decided to check and see where I was at because I was out of position. A $210 bet came and I felt like I was ahead so I pushed all in for a further $500 and after a lot of thought I was called. Knew I was ahead at this point and hoping not to be sucked out on. River was a 2 giving me a straight and the idiot had committed his stack on a 66 to hit a higher straight.

I have no problem with how he played this up until the all-in call on the turn - he knows he is behind and has 10 outs so is a 4:1 dog which makes it a terrible call as he's getting 2.5:1 on his money. I'd had nothing happen at all up until this pot so it was really frustrating to get my money in good and have that happen. That said he can call that move all day long and I'll come out way ahead.

Went better last night as I cruised to a $700 win but not much of interest happened, I was busying myself reading 'Big Deal' about a year on the poker circuit and paying a limited amount of attention to the games. Sometimes this works really well for me as it stops me focussing on how much I'm up or down and just play the cards and the player. Still not a really advisable tactic as you're bound to miss lots of information.

I've been building my poker library lately as I find it interesting to read about the game and although I know odds for most things it still helps me to analyse my game by reading about how others play and their reasoning. I'm away in the valleys this weekend so I may play a bit tonight else it's no play till Sunday!

Steve

July Profit $1600

No comments: