Monday 2 July 2007

Overplay of big hands

I've had a reasonable evening, got my profits up to about 1.5k at it's peak with no real risks. This figure depleted rapidly towards the end of the night as I got top two pair with AQ losing to someone who'd limped AA and had about $400 so there was no way I could get away from the hand due to his stack size. Then I reraised pre-flop to $80 and got smooth called by an early position limper. To me this screams out danger and I lost another $260 in the pot - player I know and I'm pretty sure he had AA or QQ and both of those cards came by the turn so it was an easy fold. This was just annoying as it was around 10 minutes before quitting time and I saw my evening's work disintigrate before my eyes.

I'm also quite irritated by how I played my sets on the flop as I managed to reraise every time to avoid draws and got no extra action. There was one where I really should have called and let them bet the turn and then raise when some real money got in it. I played way too conservative and although it meant I chipped up ok I feel that i left a resonable amount behind. It annoys me when I do this as one of my strongest abilities is getting paid on my big hand and I'm playing AA and sets like a scared girl and it's just unimpressive.

Other than that I played a $55 tourny with a 6k 1st place and came 52nd out of 544 which was ok as I was never in contention really so it was nice to cash. I like to play the odd tournament with my Party Points as it means I'm basically freerolling and I want to become a lot better at them as I intend to go to the World Series and play a few events next year so sharpenning up my tourny play is a pretty smart idea.

Anyway I'm tired now and slightly disappointed despite a reasonable evening, it could have been so much more

Steve

July Profits $2,385

No comments: