Friday 17 August 2007

Busy Busy Busy - Still got time for poker though

It's currently the busiest time of the year at work - A-Level results are out so phones are hectic and lots of stuff to do all day. However I'm not one to let this effect the time I dedicate to my poker game and stayed up playing till 3am before the busiest day of the year! It's always good to see exactly where my priorities lie. Anyway on Wednesday I managed to get myself back to being level for the month - go me! But I'll take it, this gave me a base on which to work from.

Yesterday I'd decided I wasn't going to play as I needed an earlish night to recover and would be playing whilst slightly tired. However my usual willpower won through and I ended up playing whilst in front of the TV watching poor quality trash for the majority of the evening. I wasn't planning on playing but Nat and Caroline had returned and were both knackered and lounging about in a relatively inert state. It was therefore necessary for me to entertain myself and poker seemed like the answer.

It started badly as it so often does as I horribly misjudged a hand where I had a set on the flop and allowed someone to hit a flush against me - tired play bad sign. I was about to come off when I realised that I was feeling quite focussed and had nothing else I wanted to do, so continued. For once perserverence paid off as I got back level, then a small amount ahead and then won a monster with AA.

3 people in the pot - best player at my level raised pre to $40 so I flat called to disguise my strength and the other player also called. Flop 5,6,7 - dangerous but I felt like I was ahead of the range I had both opponents on based on how they play. Villain bets $100 I flat call as does the other player (this worried me). Turn a 5, not a danger card in my mind so was happy with where I was in the pot - Villain bets $200 I call as does the other player - I was now very unhappy with the third player as I had no idea what he'd flat called with. River 5 giving me a full house and most likely the best hand. Villain checked so I thought about it and then pushed for $700, other player folded, and villain thought for a long time before calling and showing 99. Huge pot for me as I won $1400 on it and then proceeded to go on a rush as for the next 20 minutes I seemed to win every hand I was involved in. Finished the night in great shape at my highest point for the month. Hopefully I'l be able to build on this over the weekend but we shall see.

Steve

August profit - $2400 (better than the minus last time I blogged)

No comments: