Wednesday 8 August 2007

general waffle

I bought Singstar 90's yesterday, a fine new addition in our attempts to alienate the neighbours through noise pollution disguised as singing! Sadly one of our microphones has broken so we now need to buy a new one before the duets and battles can commence. Even though I can't sing I really like the game and it's a great way for me and Nat to spend an evening.

I think I may use my PS2 and Wii a lot more when I've left work as I do enjoy games and will actually have the time to play them when I'm not out of the house for 8-9 hours a day.

Anyway enough of that, I also played some poker last night despite being too tired to do myself any justice and true to form I dropped $500 through some truly horrible play before coming off. When Nat had gone to bed I decided to play for an hour and actually forced myself to concentrate - played ok and recouped my losses and made a bit more as I had AA against KK and made $850 on the hand.

I played it quite nicely, there was a raise from KK under the gun to $30 I repopped to $90 hoping he had something big as a raise in that position often shows. He then reraised to $150. Obviously I knew I was ahead and though that he probably had KK, QQ so instead of reraising I thought about it and flat called so as not to give my strength away. Flop came 8, 2,2 which was fantastic. He checked to me which I thought was probably going to mean he'd move in over the top so I put in a weak bet of $150, sure enough his $680 went promptly into the middle and I insta-called. No suck-out and I take down a big pot.

If I'd raised again pre-flop he should have been able to get away from the hand as I'd have indicated huge strength but my flat call left him with the feeling he was ahead which led to a nice pot.

So the day worked out OK as I won a few hundred but I know better than this. I'm tired, not over jet-lag, not at the peak of concentration and I let myself dribble away money during the first short session. I should and do know better but still keep making the same mistakes and costing myself cash. Still this should disappear to some extent when I can play when I wish rather than fitting it around work so hopefully that'll lead to far greater profitability.

Steve

August Profit - $1,300

No comments: