Wednesday 22 August 2007

Deliberate overplay of AA

This has been quite successful for me recently as I've put in frankly ridiculous raises pre flop to see if anyone wants to gamble and assume I have a far far weaker hand. It still amazes me how often this is true. There was a mass limp in for $10 from 6 people so I raised to $230 with AA for fun and got flat called by someone with a $1000 stak who folded to my bet on the flop when a 10 high board was showing - can anyone explain what he was doing to me, if so I would be delighted to hear about why someone would play a hand that way. If he'd reraised or bet the flop I'd understand but this truly defies explanation to me!

A more an more common habit seems to be people raising to $20 preflop in an attempt to increase the pot and take some sort of control - I hate this as I really don't know what to put them on and often reraise very aggressively. This happened again when I had AA guy utg raises to $20 so I pumped it up to $100 he flat called and then on a 10,2 5 board went all in for $600. I have to be honest, I didn't even think about it - it has to be a snap call as there is so little which is beating me - 3 hands at most all of them a set and tons which are not. He bet I called he turned over JQ for a total bluff. Again I cannot explain why someone would do this - I am not weak postflop and I am tight pre - he must know I have a minimum of JJ and almost certainly more. Can't explain it can only say cheers for the donation and move on to the next hand.

I strongly recommend trying these sorts of plays as they pay off far more often than I can explain, experiment and mix up your play - very hard for someone to put you on AA when you look like you want no further action.

I won back the $1500 I'd lost on saturday last night and am back to about $2500 up for the month - don't have exact figures as my pokertracker is smoking away inside the remains of my knackered old Dell. Long weekend as we get monday and tuesday off so I should have lots of time to play and may actually get something going - it'd be nice and about time!

Steve

No comments: