Sunday 2 December 2007

I just shouldn't play 2-4nl

I may have mentioned once or twice how much better I've been doing in 3-6nl with most of my wins coming from these tables on the rare occasions they get going on party. This could not be more true than this evening. I haven't been in the mood for much play so have played a few short sessions across either 1 or 2 tables of 3-6nl and completely ignored the lower game.

It's gone quite well - I'm now up to $2k up for the evening and have won a fair few sizeable pots with some nice play of high cards and sets. I just won an $1100 pot with KK as the flop came AK7. I had been reraised pre-flop and flat called. The guy played it like he was stringing me along for my whole stack and I was absolutely certain he had AK or AA. Usually when I get this feeling I am proved right as I have a knack for feeling out the monster hands. Imagine my surprise as he check raised me the min on the flop and then bet and called on the turn as he flipped...AT. Honestly shocked, I'd not raised preflop for about an hour and had folded virtually every hand.

I'm very grateful to the lad but what exactly was he thinking of - I called two reraises ad then raise him all in. What can I have that AT is beating????????mJust goes to show that even at higher stakes some people just do not notice what is blindingly obvious and lose their stacks because of it.

If I had the AT out of position on the largest rock at the table I would have folded pre-flop and not gone any further - the re-raise is as horrible as my flat call is beautiful. I never quite understand what people read into my table image. When I get aggressive people keep on folding, when I play like a rock people donate their entire stack when I clearly have it - these are not the regular players I'm talking about (they know better and watch) but some of the one offs are just awful and are the reason why poker is a very crushable game in the long term.

Steve

No comments: