Tuesday 18 September 2007

And so it continues...

My run at omaha is going very well, played for 2 hours last night and won about $900 at 2-4pl. I'm certain a downswing must happen at some point due to the nature of the game but for the moment I'm very happy to just keep winning.

Doubled up on my first hand of the night as I had QTT8 double suited and called a raise preflop, flop came J92 giving me any 7,8 or K for the nuts and and 10 or Q for what I thought would be the winner once pre-flop raiser bet pot and everyone folded - with what I assumed to be 16 outs (64% favourite) I reraised and got it all in. Failed to hit my draws and board paired the J on the end so I was very surprised to have the pot pushed my way - opponent had AKQT which meant I was ahead when it went in but not in the way I thought!

I was actually nearly 50/50 pre flop against his hand too and when the flop came down and all the money went in I was 57% to win and only 20% to lose with a split pot a distinct posibility. It's nice that when it does get all in I am ahead over 80% of the time which should mean that long term I win a nice amount.

I've also been trying a few more bluffs when scare cards come in to mid sized pots and it is amazing quite how often a pot bet will take it down. it was a good session and I'm feeling more positive about my chances in the games every time I play.

Because of my current success I have been getting tempted to jump in to the 10-20 game which would involve sitting with $2k in a game well known for being quite swingy - have managed to resist this so far as I really don't have the bankroll or the experience to play this high. However in the next few weeks I may start taking shots at it and playing one table and seeing how I fare. I held my own very comfortably at 5-10 when I played and seem to be a fairly consistent winner at 2-4 so it would make sense to have a go at the higher level.

My online bankroll has been building nicely and is currently at 8k as I've cashed out for 9.5k in the last week. Keeping a smaller amount online is really positive as I like seeing my bank account grow and it prevents me from jumping into the big games sooner than I should. However I do see myself eventually multi-tabling the biggest available games on party which is 10-20 omaha and 25-50 NL holdem, I think that despite my inexperience I am far more likely to end up playing the big omaha games as the stakes are lower and 25-50 is still a long way off for me despite the 3-4 years i've been playing poker.

Only 13.5 (working) days to go until I am playing full time and I cannot wait...

Steve

No comments: