Tuesday 25 September 2007

Know your limit

Knowing what limits you are comfortable playing at is a crucial thing in online poker. Too little and you just don't care about the money and are far more likely to make crazy and unprofitable plays. Too much and the money itself will scare you and you'll play tighter than is truly profitable so that when you do get real hands it is far too easy for your opponents to read what you may have.

The limits which you feel comfortable at may change on a daily basis dependent on the opposition, your mood, recent results and many other things which affect the attitude which you take to the poker table. I find that the limits I am comfortable with vary mostly dependent on how I've been doing. When I'm on a hot streak I am comfortable sitting with 1-2k per table and taking the swings as they come, when things have been going less well I am more nervous about losing more and this leads to me not playing my best poker.

The win rate which you can achieve will vary between limits and it is important to maximise your win rate per hour or per hand which may mean playing at a lower level than you could.

I have decided that I am going to grind 2-4pl omaha for the next few weeks to get an idea of my win rate and see if this may be the most profitable game for me at the moment. I have had some major ups and downs at omaha and lost a lot playing 3-6 but I wasn't playing as well as I do now and also played this when it was the highest game available, hence noticably tougher opposition. So far I have been a big winner at 2-4 and hope that this will continue as I think there is potentially a large profit margin to be had at this level.

i won just over 1k last night and was unfortunate not to be further ahead, plus this was done without me feeling any worry about dropping buy-ins because it is lower than I play holdem at. My mentality has been refreshed by a winning session and hopefully I can build further on this over the next few days

Steve

No comments: