Saturday 8 September 2007

Learning New Games

In an attempt to add some variety into my play and my options I have started learning Omaha which is, in essence, Texas holdem played with 4 cards dealt to each person. I have a reasonable understanding of the game and am holding my own at 1-2 pot limit games. I am slightly down but that is due to people with very very weak draws getting lucky twice in a row, had this not happened I'd be about $500 up from the game.

Omaha is going to see a lot more occasions where I get stacked as it is a much more swingy game and pots build up to multiway all in's on a semi-regular basis. It's quite fun to play and I'm going to read up a bit on it and see what else I can add to my arsenal. I have a reasonable understanding of starting hand requirements and manage to avoid trouble a lot, I'll have to download a tracker for omaha so I can see my results in a database and analyse how I'm playing.

At the moment it's more for entertainment than for profit but I'd quite like to get good at it and from what I've seen there are a lot of weak players willing to call pot sized all ins on the turn with only a flush draw so there seems to be a lot of margin to exploit. I'll improve my game quite rapidly until I am regularly profitable at the lower stakes. I reckon within a month I should be a regular winner and then we'll see what I can do in terms of moving up stakes.

Aside from this poker has been going well - it should be going better but I've had a couple of expensive lapses. I'm now about $8k up in the last 4 weeks which is ok, not as good as I would like by any means but I've been busy, away at weekends and I'm pretty satisfied with where my bankroll is. I'm up to almost where I want to be in tems of money online and after that I'll cash out everything over this amount. Haven't cashed out since my holiday as I'm building the roll ready for when I'm playing full time - I'm more prone to getting anxious and irritated when I have less in my account so this should hopefully prevent that.

Steve


September Profit $3300

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah you talk about learning new games...

Well I was out all night tonight and decided on getting back at 3 to play a bit of poker off the $30 I won in a tournament the other day...

Well needless to say my booyah! mentality quickly trebbled me up and pissed off every other player on the table with my incessant comments in the text box.

I honestly think I'm a better player when half drunk.

Frankly I am great.

Booyah!