Monday 3 September 2007

Weekend of poker

This weekend saw the meeting of some fine poker minds as my friends from uni met up and had a £10 tournament - To breakdown the players, I am turning pro, 2-3 of them play semi-regularly or occasionally online 2 have played these sorts of things a few times before and 1 was a novice.

Now I was quite realistic going into this and fully expected not to win and probably crash out in less than heroic style, unfortunately all of my suspicions turned out to be true. It was a very aggressive game with large pots flying back and forth and some huge bluffs being attempted and picked off. Euan, who plays a fair bit online was first to go as he failed to believe mike 'lunatic' moore as he pushed all in and Euan called him down with second pair only to be shown that Mike had limped with AK and had top two pair.

I was sadly next to crash as I realised what Mike had made a correct call and then got rivered, I was only a 60-40 favourite in the hand and my pre-match predictions came true as Mike crushed me hitting trips on the river. I've been to Vegas with Mike, seen him play a lot and I think this may have been the first time ever I have actually managed to put him on a hand. Didn't do me any good though as I proved that although I may be profitable online and in live cash games, I suck in tournaments.

The game then continued onwards with the final two being Mike and Simon (who played about 3 hands all night) unsurprisingly the tight style Simon adopted proved victorious but me and Euan feel that we have the moral victory in the game as we provided more action and entertainment.

I really enjoyed the game and it's nice to adopt a completely different style than I usually play and see most flops, bluff a bit, talk a lot and generally play quite loose poker.

Anyway after this devastating defeat I decided some poker for Sunday evening was the way forward, so I crashed out of the $300k and then focussed on cash games - made about 2.5k over 6 hours and played mostly very solid poker - not as much fun though!

My bankroll is currently looking healthy and hopefully I'll be nicely set by the end of the month and ready to roll as a full time pro.

Steve

1 comment:

munki said...

Goddamn that tricksy Moore!
I think I carried over the loose agressive style over from the weekend when I was playing last night. I think I forgot that I was actually playing with money!

(Of course, with the low-stakes I play at and the current US/UK exchange rate, I actually lost more on Saturday than last night...)