Thursday 13 September 2007

Not at my best..

Having had a couple of days off I resumed play last night and managed to make another idiot play where I called of $650 when I knew my opponent had AA or KK and therefore was beating my full house - really annoys me when I do this and I start questionning lots of aspects of my game. I know I'm a winning player and I'd win a damn side more if I stopped doing stupid things.

Anyway as a result of this I have decided to withdraw much of my bankroll and start paying myself weekly regardless of results again, this way even when I go on a bad run I'll know that my bank account is in good shape and I am making money from poker. I seem to find a large bankroll more of a hinderence than a help - dunno why and I've decided that $2000 a week is coming out until I'm down to $4000 in my account as that is when I drop to lower tables. Hopefully I'll start winning at a better rate than this again and build my bankroll anyway but it means that I can't go on a horrible run and tilt of 5-10k of profit. I'm also going to return to playing a maximum of 4 tables as the swings will be lower and I may find it easier to manage.

Along with this I am really enjoying playing omaha and seem to be ok at it. My understanding is improving each time I play and I had a venture to 2-4 and 3-6 omaha yesterday with reasonable success. It is definitely a game where you can win or lose a number of buy ins in quick succession and even if you play tight you see a lot more flops. I think the overall standard is terrible and but for a couple of really nasty suckouts - 2-4 outs I'd be up well over 1k. People get their money in with poor poor hands and call pot sized bets with only a flush draw on the turn for most of their stack. I think if I can master this game it'll be by far my most profitable, although the thought of playing at 5-10 buy in is somewhat worrying at the moment. I intend to stick to 2-4 and see how it goes and whether I am a profitable player. At the moment all the signs are good as I rarely get the money in when behind.

I need to be doing this full time now, work is a burden and I can't wait until I can concentrate purely on poker.

16.5 days to go

Steve

No comments: