Wednesday 17 October 2007

Record Day

Previously when I was playing no limit holdem my best day of poker was a profit of around 4k - pretty good really and obviously not something to be sniffed at. However in my fledgling omaha career I have already surpassed this total with what can only be described as a flourishing disregard for how pathetic that previous record total was.

Rather than just exceed it by a few hundred dollars, I have gone for the rather more extreme option and tried my hardest to double it. The thing is I've played for maybe 8-9 hours today and although it's gone well I don;t feel like I've run exceptionally, the vast majority of the time I've got my money in with very few outs often with people drawing dead. I've lost a couple of large pots where I was favourite but it seems like I'm running maybe a little above expectation on the hands I've played.

The money has just sort of happened. Whereas in holdem it is far more noticeable to me when I am winning or losing it just flows much better in omaha and I can get 2-3k up without really realising quite how fantastically well it's going. Today has been very much like that, I won $3.6k yesterday which was my best day of omaha and I have nearly doubled that today as I'm $6,600 ahead for today - WHICH IS RIDICULOUS. Over $10k up in the last two days.

I've won a lot of big big pots by playing AAXX slowly and then connecting with top set on the flop and letting others bet their way into trouble. Biggest pot today has been $2.4k which was with a set of A's against top two pair. Another example where in a huge pot I had my opponent drawing dead! This just shouldn't be happening in omaha.

I've pulled off some nice bluffs and managed to get value from almost all of my hands. All of this has been done at 5-10 playing a full $1000 stack. I've only really played at this limit on 3 seperate occasions now with a full stack but I think I may have adjusted well and am playing a lot better than someone who has played this game for a month has any right too.

It's really weird how well I've transfered across to omaha and I enjoy the game a lot more than holdem as there is so much more too it and a number of players seem to be especially bad, sadly my poker tracker database has thrown a strop for the second time in a week and I don't have precise stats on how much I'm up this month. However I'm pretty sure it's in the region of $20k which would mean that I am (unsurprisingly) having my best ever month.

I'm getting tired now and have just been screwed on the river for a mid sized pot so I'm going to bed rather happy with my day's work - the fact that I've made about 2 months take home salary is quite disturbing when I actually think about it, so I'm not gonna. Maybe my dreams of a huge new house within a year aren't as unrealistic as I thought they may be, who knows, I could have a disasterous run at some point, however there are limits to how bad it can be as I'v ebeen cashing my winnings to ensure I don't manage to donk the lot off through bad run.

Steve

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, congratulations Steve!

I've been enjoying your adventure for a few weeks now. I am glad to see that you are enjoying success. I still remember the first week I went pro. It was a happy, exhilarating time.

Here's to your continued success!

Steve said...

Nick,

Really appreciate the comment and am glad you enjoy my blog. Nice to hear from someone who's been through the experience of turning pro