Sunday 24 June 2007

On the up

And so the recovery of form and confidence continues. I feel like I've played near perfect poker over the last few days (for my style at least) and wouldn't change how I've played almost any pots. So overall it is going much better and my profits are recovering so I may be able to hit the ambitious 20k target I had at the start of the month, even if I don't it is still going to be my best month ever and I've learnt a lot about myself as a result of this bad run - I'm not necessarily that good at coping with bad results if I let myself get tired and I need to be wary of this in the future. It could be that having quit my job I started feeling the pressure which I suppose is only to be expected. I feel in a great frame of mind and need to ensure this continues regardless of results at the tables. People have temporarily stopped sucking out constantly on me and long may it continue - am close to 2k up today and will be playing alongside glastonbury highlights until 2ish so with a bit of luck I can pick up another thousand or so.

I have found it very difficult to write as much when I am on a losing streak as all my feelings get mixed up and I don't really want to use this blog to just whinge about how crap it's going. i'm lucky I've found something which I'm passionate about and appear to be able to make an excellent living at, so when things are going wrong I need to remind myself of this and be thankful that with any luck I'll never need to work again. I'm not saying that this is easy and it requires a lot of effort and concentration but it doesn't really feel like work and I hope that continues to be the case long into the future.

On the other issue which has annoyed me (see previous posts) he's not been back to the house since thursday night which is lovely and we've really enjoyed having the house to ourselves, I feel calm about the whole issue but still don't want him here and I very much doubt that will change. Anyone who's reading this should check out my friend Euan's blog at


http://pittancegamepoker.blogspot.com

He's just starting out so has a completely different perspective on the game and is learning all the time so it should be interesting to see how he develops as a player - I'll help any time you want Mr Clubbs!

Anyway one interesting hand to post and it shows a bit about pot odds and knowing where you are in a pot to justify a call.

Tiltymonkey has (4,4)
psykotow folds
mamat6666 calls [$10 USD]
Rush9 folds
ipla2mchpkr calls [$10 USD]
sanuk247 folds
hongpan calls [$10 USD]
ExclusiveM calls [$5 USD]
BulldogDavor checks
** Dealing Flop ** [ 3c, 4h, 7h ]
ExclusiveM checks
BulldogDavor checks
TiltyMonkey checks
mamat6666 checks
ipla2mchpkr checks
hongpan checks
** Dealing Turn ** [ Ah ]
ExclusiveM checks
BulldogDavor bets [$25 USD]
TiltyMonkey calls [$25 USD]
mamat6666 folds
ipla2mchpkr calls [$25 USD]
hongpan folds
ExclusiveM raises [$125 USD]
BulldogDavor folds
TiltyMonkey calls [$100 USD]
ipla2mchpkr folds
** Dealing River ** [ 7s ]
ExclusiveM checks
TiltyMonkey bets [$160 USD]
ExclusiveM calls [$160 USD]
TiltyMonkey shows [ 4d, 4s ]a full house, Fours full of Sevens.
ExclusiveM doesn't show [ Kh, 6h ]a flush, Ace high.
TiltyMonkey wins $677 USD from the main pot with a full house, Fours full of Sevens.


Right an explanation of how I played this and why. i decided to try to check raise the flop as it had a lot of dangerous draws available and as it was a multiway limp I though it the best way to increase the pot and have the chance to make draws pay more to see the turn and river. Sadly it was checked round which is always a risk you run with this sort of hand. The turn is a 3rd heart and I decided to play it cautious as a flush is a distinct possibility and I'd put myself in this position through the check on the flop. This is why I just called the $25 - it was reraised by $100 in late position and I decided that this meant a flush had been hit so I'd need a boat on the river to take it down. I called the reraise because I thought I'd be able to squeeze a reasonable bet off him on the river if not take his whole stack if I hit the boat. Sadly exclusive is a good player and was aware of the full house possibility so check called the river. I made the bet too tempting to fold being about half pot size. If I'd bet much more I think he is good enough to get away from the hand. against many other players they would have bet the river and then called an all in reraise so we both played it quite well. I was happy with my play in the hand and raked in a nice pot. I knew I was behind and wouldn't have committed any more money to the pot if I'd missed.

Right short break then back to it

Steve


Monthly profit - $15,021

No comments: