Wednesday 30 January 2008

Can't handle it

That's how I feel. I don't know if I can continue to do this as my supposed living. I am a horrible horrible run of fortune and I'm really questionning my own ability massively right now. Sadly this is coupled with a deep questionning of whether I even want to do this any more. I start well after a week off and win $900 I've dropped $1400 over the past two days through some bad luck some bad play and it hurts.

It hurts really rather deeply and I seem to have lost my joy for the game entirely. Playing doesn't give me any pleasure, I don't really enjoy winning any more and I absolutely detest losing. This hurts!

I've had a really productive day and felt good and simply through playing I've managed to remove my previously upbeat temperment. This is not good. I know I can turn this around but I'm not even sure I want to any more - if I continue doing badly then I quit and go back to working for a living, at least that way I have more stability in my life even if the prospect does not thrill me.

When I started this is was fun, it was exhilerating and it was potentially lucrative. The first two of these have flown out of the window never to be seen again!. I have never ever had to try at anything in my life, academia was easy, job - easy, interviews, mortgage, day to day life - easy.

Poker fitted into this category as well when I had a job, I played, I won consistently over a very long period and life was good. It's different now and I'm not sure I like it very much.

Steve

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

steve,
you say that you never had to try at anything in life. that's why you need to keep at this.

it's almost spooky how similar our stories are. i never really had to bust my ass at anything either. if i actually did apply myself, which is rare, i always suceeded and exelled.

poker is the first thing that i have really put a lot of effort into in my life. it has dominated my thoughts for over 4 years, and i am nowhere near as successful as i thought or think i should be and it bothers me. that's a big reason that i keep at it.

i have studied the strategic side of poker and came into my new career with a gameplan. i now focus on learning about the poker lifestyle and poker's mental side. that's why i read blogs like yours instead of watching poker training videos.

it's not that i don't need to learn new things anymore. i am just trying to focus on applying what i have learned. it's sooooo hard to always play "good" and make good poker decisions on and off the table. i believe that i waste, lose at least half a buyin a session due to mental mistakes. this is what i am trying to cutdown on. the "bad beats" will never stop.

im just finishing my 14th month as a pro. i have been as low if not lower than you have mentally. things started to get better for me a few months ago i believe for 2 reasons. i had a lot of big bills due at the end of the year. i did not want to dip into my saved living expenses. i wanted to earn the money and i pretty much did. the 2nd thing was that i switched from full ring nlhe to full ring pot limit omaha hi lo. the variance is much less and i actually get to suckout on the river every now and then. this never happened in nl holdem.

i haven't "made it" yet as a pro, but i'm on a much better track both on the table and mentally. i'm glad that i am sticking it out.

since it's superbowl week in america i'll end with a quote from american football's most famous coach, vince lombardi. "when the going gets tough, the tough get going.

keep your head up,
dave

Steve said...

cheers for the feedback dave, much appreciated. I just need to find my love for the game again as that is the biggest thing that is missing for me right now.

I'm sure I can crack it but I'm just wondering whether it is worth it for me. That said I did decide this was what I wanted to do after a lot of thought and either way I've got to give it a fair crack.

Steve