Saturday 12 January 2008

Hooray for some fortune

And we're back in a more positive frame of mind. I've kept my composure well today although have been absolutely seething inside and let my frustration get the better of me when talking to Nat (not easy to live with a poker player). Anyway I've kept plugging away at the 3-6nl table and have taken my original buyin up from $600 to over $2k.

It always seems to be the way, I drop to 2-4 and 3-6 and despite playing much much more 2-4 due to the availability of tables I win far more at 3-6nl. I don't know why but this game just seems to fit me better and I have a much much higher win rate at it.

Anyway my table roll grew quickly as I flopped top set on a Q62 flop where I'd raised pre and because there was virtually no danger I decided to check and allow a free card. I very rarely do this as you only get in trouble slow playing and often it makes it far easier to put you on the set than when you lead out. Imagine my surprise when one of the two caller pushed all in for $550, I said thanks and scooped the pot against his Q2. Poor play from him and I was a gateful recipient.

Anyway then this hand came up.I was holding 67 in the blinds and the flop came a very kind 345 rainbow. As I said before, often the best way to disguise true strength is to lead out so I duly did so and got two callers of my $18 bet. Turn came a hideous 3 and I decided to check and see where I stood. First player led out $50, I called and then the last player bet all in for over $700!!!

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1931370

Original better folded and I have a huge decision to make. He could quie easily have me beat here but realistically if you had been holding a set or two pair and had just filled up would you make that bet. I thought through the whole hand and decided that his most likely holding was A3 giving him a straight draw too.

With heart in mouth I made the call and hoped I was right and wasn't about to be sucked out on. $1550 pot and my day ressurected was the result.

Steve

No comments: