Wednesday 16 January 2008

Starting Afresh

I need to remember what my aims are from playing poker for a living. The main question I need to ask myself is a very simple one

Why do I do this?

There are a multitude of answers to this and all of them help to remind me why getting stressed by short term results is stupid and not really conductive to helping me be successful

So the answers to the question are as below, not in any order by the way.

1. Because I know I will earn a larger amount from playing poker than I would through a standard job and it is certainly the only way I could ever become truly wealthy (this doesn't really matter but success in poker is judged by profits so it's not a bad way of keeping score)

2. Because I am proud of the fact that I can live by my wits and ability and enjoy the challenge on a daily basis

3. So I have the time available to do what I want with my life and don't have to deal with the hassles of a real job. Work has never been a driving force in my life and this career is far far preferable to any job I may ever have.

4. It is the only area where I have ever displayed any ambition. I cruised through school and uni, never struggled in jobs I had and generally took it fairly easy and was on autopilot throughout. I can't do this so much with poker, I have to try, I have to improve and I have to set targets and goals. These are all positive things and when I have my head on straight all give my life some focus and meaning.

5. Because I love the fact I am doing something away from the norm. I like being different and whether I make it work or not I will never ever regret giving myself the opportunity to see if I can make it work for me. I think this will ultimately come down to livestyle rather than profitability - I still have a long way to go to make the lifestyle work for me.

6. When I settle down and have kids I want to be in a position to give them all my time and poker will certainly allow this - can play when I like!


I know I've been whinging in my recent posts, I know I've let myself get down and stressed but long-term I know that it is just something I will have to accept is going to happen from time to time. I like all long term players have bounced back many times and undoubtably will do so again.


Steve

No comments: